Dyn's World

It's really really boring... most of the time... honest!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom

While I make my living out of being a software engineer, I'm trying to become a published author, writing books for teenagers.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Do my feet touch the floor?

...obviously not at the moment.

As regular readers know, I don't write much when I'm busy, and the last week has been utter chaos. So let's see if I can remember what happened.

2 Fridays ago... blimey, yes it was that long ago, was yet another day, punctuated by choir practise, which ended a bit late, so I didn't bother going to see my parents. Had a rare night in, celebrating posting my application for my new radio license.

...so on Saturday I mowed the lawns while Shelagh was at work. Then we went to Grantham to get the car washed, and see my parents. Ended up buying everyone (including my sister) a Chinese dinner.

Sunday... being the second Sunday of the month, it was the usual morning and evening services to play the organ for. Went swimming during the afternoon to take advantage of a "no rush" session to get some real distance in. Managed 32 lengths in 2 sessions either side of 10 minutes in the sauna.

Monday morning was an early start to go swimming again. Just a short session. The evening was when things began to get busy, when Mit and Vav turned up for a week of madness at the radio station. Spent the evening installing Gentoo on gateway. Left after midnight.

Tuesday was fairly uneventful. Lent Mit my studio keys, and he continued the install progress during the day. Management meeting at 19:30 to go through the new IT strategy, and draw up a list of things to do.

Wednesday... more of the same, and began installing Gentoo on more machines. Went to Radio Witham as usual. Got back to Newark in time for last orders, and continued the IT revamp.

Thursday... decided not to go to the radio club, but continue the IT work, moving machines around. Had a report that the PA for the studio monitor speakers was playing up. Suspected the amp was at fault rather than the desk. The evening inspection seemed to implicate the UPS in some way too. Replaced a load of bulbs in the mixer. No word from Bristol about my license yet...

Friday... no post - bank holiday. Spent a few hours at the studio swearing at cursing at the malfunctioning amp, before ringing a peal at Edwalton (2hrs 22mins, standard doubles). Then spent the evening adding finishing touches to the install on PDS, which is due to become the new studio computer, although it's been resisting the install (maybe a P266 just isn't powerful enough these days?).

Saturday morning was spent finishing off bit of the install remotely before sending Mit and Vav on their was on the 14:30 train. Then off to Grantham to see my parents again, and buy some much needed petrol. No Chinese this time - just a nice ham and chips tea. My parents had decided to get me a nice music stand for my birthday... I just need to get myself to a RPS meeting to get some use out of it! Spent the evening imaging STUDIO's hard disc onto what was COM-MIRC, now PRODUCER. Easier than fighting another install on a P266. The old MIRC machine is now ready to be returned to its former owner :-) No post today! So I'll be Tuesday before I get to see Thursday's Ringing World, or anything from Bristol.

Sunday was mainly a day off. Nothing to get up for, but a quarter peal in the evening (44mins, St Clement minor). Spent the evening watching TV.

Monday... another dose of swimming (32 lengths) and a visit to the studio to remove the faulty amp, and replace it with a spare... no room for the satellite receiver now though, and had to uncable-tie the rack. Also found a remote and manuals for the MDs we hired for the RSL - they need returning. Also took the CD and MD players out of the studio ready for servicing. Still nagging Andy to get that done. An early night tonight, with the clocks going forwards, etc, I was pretty tried. No Waddo net... not that I could hear. Don't know what happened there.

So today... well Shelagh chickened out of going swimming - not surprising as she was late to bed last night. Receieved my copy of the comic, and confirmation that I've got 2E0FKH from Bristol, but no validation document yet. Maybe tomorrow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home