Dyn's World

It's really really boring... most of the time... honest!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom

While I make my living out of being a software engineer, I'm trying to become a published author, writing books for teenagers.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Post holiday catch-up

I really should write a bit more frequently, but time is short, and the workload is heavy :-(

Last Tuesday, after I'd dared to go swimming (again, arrived late, so only managed 24 lengths), work was a blur of catching up with a few changes. I commissioned my new work laptop, although I don't think I'll be using it much at home - I prefer to work in the office. Got to know our new starter, Tim, who seems nice enough, and comes from Staffordshire - so maybe another source for oatcakes?

The evening Boundary Sound meeting was interesting... as in interesting to see who wasn't present. Usual suspects, probably using the football as an excuse. No, I'm not impressed. Went on to have a late evening session with Mark at the studio, and showed a new presenter around a bit.

Wednesday was nothing special, but took my AT400 out for a play while I was on the move between Grantham and Newark, and worked a few stations while mobile through GB3GR. Makes a nice change.

Thursday evening was a bit of a mash, due to having to play the church organ for a service at 19:30. Shelagh and I then exercised our democratic rights, before I wondered off to the studio to play with the web streams again. Managed to push the server much harder this time. Noted that the server really needs more memory. I'll have to get some ordered soon.

I spent Friday evening with Howard in the studio, covering some of the main points for training this time. Ended the evening sharing a bottle of wine with Dave, and probably talking rubbish - I can't remember - the wine was good.

Saturday morning was spent hacking down the hedge next to my drive, creating scarily large piles of rubbish. I then spent the afternoon with new presenter, Monnie, at the studio. Covered some of the basic points of radio station work and life - timing, branding, etc. Later, I managed to catch some time on the ham radio, worked GB2TW (Tuxford Windmill special event) and a G6 replied to a CQ call. Even later, I set about burning some of the hedge related rubbish. Managed to get rid of about half of it before the light faded, and I'd had enough of the smoke.

Shelagh was working on Sunday morning, so an even eariler start, and 2 church serviced to play the organ for. By the time we'd managed to do some shopping, it was mid afternoon, and almost time for me to go and play for evensong too. Talk about keeping me busy. Later, I finally got round to rewiring the electrics in the Boundary Sound racks, getting all the computers on UPS, and taking the audio kit off the UPS (it wasn't liking it very much). Got out the cable ties again, and generally tidied up some of the rat's nest.

Back to work on Monday. Tried to go swimming again, but found the pool closed, so managed to grab some breakfast. A busy evening in the studio working with Craig in the studio, and John on the computers. I really need to sort out the workstation machine again, as the monitor doesn't like the resolution the computer is trying to display at the moment... the producer machine is rather too slow to do anything useful on. Had to restart the studio computer again, as it had randomly fallen over for the third time. Looks like I might end up replacing both studio and producer before the RSL.

Onwards...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home