Dyn's World

It's really really boring... most of the time... honest!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom

While I make my living out of being a software engineer, I'm trying to become a published author, writing books for teenagers.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Coming together

Things are still coming together at the radio station, and as the days pass, more and more things are being done and tasks completed. We're now just 2 weeks from "version 1" of the new website being delivered (which means I'm going to have to chivvy the domain registration handover along a bit). The blown amp has now been sent off for replacement, and we shouldn't be far from getting the CD and MD players back in fully working order. This does, of course, mean I'd better get the order for those parts I want from Maplin sorted out.

Monday evening was chaos at the station. Lots of people in for meetings and training. I opted to spend an hour or so with Craig in the editing suite, showing off what the editing software can do, and what various bits of sound look like. Then moved into the studio for a spot of back-timing practise. I've managed to make space for the satellite receiver on top of the rack cabinate, so I've wired that back in, which makes it more fun to test those back-timing skills. Then off to the pub for a couple of drinks with the rest of the management team.

Tuesday was much quieter. Even had time to jump onto the radio to chat to Dave for 10 minutes, discussing licensing terms and CB/PMR activity. I arrived to find Duncan and Simon already in the studio, having been delayed in my arrival by a horse drawn chariot. By the time I ran up the stairs, I guess my face looked like a smacked bottom (which is getting to be pretty usual these days), and caused Duncan to ask if I was ok. I was ok. I just didn't look it! Anyway, I spent just over an hour covering all the desk controls that I don't cover in basic training, and some of the concepts behind them. Then onto what's becoming a standard "this is Linux" introduction. I'm now able to show off the new website's ability to provide RSS feeds for weather and travel information, which can then be viewed from the presenter's portal. This allows me to demonstrate some of the concepts behind having a separate producer for each programme. For some reason, you say "production" and some people think of creating jingles and editing interviews. Production is about much more than that... it's researching and providing all the content for a programme, not just editing any audio clips. While many presenters do their own production, having a second person to share the load with can lead to much better prepared programmes.

Anyway, I managed to get to bed early enough last night to go swimming this morning. Another pitiful 24 lengths, and only 7 minutes in the sauna which stank of TCP. I'm sure there are odourless alternatives these days... got to be better than being fumigated at 83C.

No training tonight... it's hospital radio night. I had an email from the station manager last night thanking me for the satellite receiver, which has now been wired in.

It seems there are a couple of new bellringers to be taught at Barrowby, so Shelagh has some work to do as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home