Dyn's World

It's really really boring... most of the time... honest!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom

While I make my living out of being a software engineer, I'm trying to become a published author, writing books for teenagers.

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Unscheduled reboot

It seems that over the weekend, the electricity meter at the radio station ran out of credit. We've been waiting for a new meter for MONTHS, and it still hasn't been replaced. The upshot was that the entire computer system had to be restarted last night, which is something I could have done without. I spend all day working with computers, and don't really want to work with computers in the evening. This is why my own computers are never set up to their best.

Anyway, the linux box that I got Mit to help set up last Thursday evening wasn't very happy having been rebooted. I could really do with getting pico installed, so I can easily look at the logs and edit the configs myself, but the pine RPM won't install due to missing dependancies that I'm sure aren't missing. I sometimes understand why so many people hate RPMs. Anyway, I got Mit to have another look at the box, as smbd didn't restart on reboot, and the firewall was cacked again. I had to open up the ports again before I could get ssh access. I also got Mit to look at setting up bind, as I'm absolutely useless, and the lack of a decent name server on station is becoming a pain, as some machines refuse to resolve some names via smb.

On a less stressful note, I managed to get some ringing in at St Giles, and got through a plain course of Ipswich Surprise... enough to boost my confidence a bit more. I then dashed home to confirm timings for this Thursday - the radio club Christmas dinner. I also got confirmation regarding taxis for the radio station's dinner on Friday.

I've also been informed that the work planned on Saturday to move the radio station's transmitter antenna has been rescheduled to Thursday. Hang on. I've got a problem there. Looks like I won't be able to attend that. Must also make a note of my forthcoming Sunday activities, playing the organ for two services, and ringing for a wedding at 13:30. I hope by now you've got some idea of the nightmare that is my diary...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home