Dyn's World

It's really really boring... most of the time... honest!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom

While I make my living out of being a software engineer, I'm trying to become a published author, writing books for teenagers.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Application Software

No, I refuse to believe that here in the office, we're having a conversation about toilet paper, calling it "application software". I do however feel that use of a debugging tool or two might help a bit, as there appears to be a puddle of output error building behind the central processing unit (and it's getting wiffy in there), and the function key is sometimes a little reluctant to work.

Now that I've started at the "bog standard" level, things can't get much worse...

I've been battling with the Boundary Sound computer network (or notwerk, as I've started calling it) for a few days to try to make the network browsing work. In a last ditch attempt, I've started to install NetBEUI on all the machines. Seems to be working too. I upgraded the WEP to 128bit last night, and set up a whole bunch of new keys, and changed a whole load of passwords to tie things down a bit.

Made up a new remote control line for the TBU with Howard last night, but had trouble making the TBU work. Turns out that the cable between the phone point and the TBU is on the blink. I'll have to make up a new RJ11 terminated cable for that. Still no news on the plugs for the CD remotes. Still need to finish servicing the faders, and get the domain server sorted (need a network card for that machine). The studio is turning in to engineering central :-/

...all this, and things are getting very busy at work - a case of fighting fires - as soon as I write a section of code, I discover several more that need to be written. We all eat shit sandwiches, just some of us take bigger bites than others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home