Dyn's World

It's really really boring... most of the time... honest!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom

While I make my living out of being a software engineer, I'm trying to become a published author, writing books for teenagers.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Slow progress

Oops... I've been intending to write something all week, but have put it off, and done something else, and then forgotten. I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles when you've got a workload that you can measure in "shitloads".

Last Friday, after a slight push from my parents, I phoned a gardener to have a look at my private jungle. I haven't touched the lawns for 3 weeks, let alone pull up any weeds or keep the flower beds in check. No, gardening isn't my strong point, although I do like to be able to sit and enjoy it when the weather is nice. Charges are £50 for a half day session to bring it under control, and then a further £15 for a fortnightly lawn trim and checkup. No drinks with Dave on Friday... can't remember why now either. Ended up watching Big Brother, and going to bed.

Back to the studio on Saturday to have another swear and curse at the new editing computer. Managed to boot it in Linux to find out what the network card really is. Not much help though. I still can't find any Windows drivers for it. I spent some time replacing the audio cables for the CD players. They've consisted for a couple of UTP cables for 2 RSLs now, and I only intended them to be a temporary measure to test the mixer after it was first delivered. I also placed an order with Maplin for some plugs for the remote controls. Ended up going for an Indian with Shelagh, as I couldn't be bothered to cook.

Another busy Sunday with organ playing, etc. Spent the evening with Mark in the studio, while I dismantled an old PS/2 keyboard to make up an OTS remote. More success than last time! The solder joints are very fine though, and I'll need to get a project box to keep it safe. Had another attempt to sort out our BBC reception with Sky... still no joy there either, the picture breaks up on a regular basis.

Monday was lovely. Sun, and a cooling northerly breeze. Gave Ela her first training session of the season, which meant I wasn't able to go to the radio club to help out with a contest (not that I'm all that keen on contesting it has to be said).

Tuesday saw the arrival of a package from Maplin, with all the plugs and hoods I ordered. The evening's studio session was with Simon, who's making progress, and will be ready for a demo programme next time. I took the opportunity to solder up the new plugs while I listened. The car parking situation in front of my house is getting worse. In the evening, our new neighbour had parked one car blocking the drive, and another car in front of the garage. Shelagh, rather undiplomatically parked so that she blocked in the car that was blocking our drive. I suspect they think that Kate's car is one of our cars (we only have one car), as she parks it infront of our house, rather than on the drive for fear of having it blocked in. So next door block our drive, probably in a tit for tat retaliation of "their" parking space being taken (except it's not theirs, they have no divide right to park there - it's a park of the public highway... their parking space is, in fact, infront of their garage). So basically, because of the current arrangement of cars, Shelagh and I are being stuffed. This has to change. I've not even introduced myself to next door yet, so I'll probably try to invite them round for a drink on Friday evening, and get this mess sorted out.

Wednesdays don't get any easier. News that the White Swan have lost another Crib player (Keith Clements died suddenly over the weekend). A rushed bellringing teaching session between 19:15 and 20:00 before dashing off to the hospital for 90 minutes of 50s music. The only nice bit was the garden has been seen to, and no longer looks like a jungle! It's a shame I'm at work all day and can't enjoy the lovely weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home