Dyn's World

It's really really boring... most of the time... honest!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom

While I make my living out of being a software engineer, I'm trying to become a published author, writing books for teenagers.

Monday, May 23, 2005

Holy jumper settings...

I had a look at the telco channels on Friday night while I had Mark there to help me (saves me walking to the rack and back to turn the power on and off so much). Well... what a mess. I managed to work out which pots to tweak, but when I tweaked them, it made no difference... there was certainly no minus about the mix minus clean feed. So with a sigh, I left it until Saturday morning...

A new day, a new perspective on the problem. It seems that the printed instructions on the boards for the jumpers are non-intuative, and so they were all in the wrong place, trying to get the clean feed input from the rin not the tip of the interpatch and creating a clean feed from the aux buss not the mix minus as I thought. Eventually, I got the pots to tune up, and remove as much of the channel's output from the mix minus as possible. I then realigned the channel gains, and repeated for the second telco channel. However... I'm still getting audio drop outs on the phone line, and having checked the connections on the TBU, I can only suggest that the TBU is begining to fail in some way. On the up side, the telco channels work as designed now, and I've managed to work out what the modifications that have been made actually do (it looks like a relay across the aux 1 and 2 outputs to cut off of the feed to aux 1 and 2 when the fade was opened - the energise line to the relay has been dyked though, so it's no longer effective). One of the mic channels still has a noisy post-fade signal on aux 1 and 2, even after I swapped the channels around, so I'm going to have to look at that closely. I still can't make the split TB work on the monitor channel, but I think the ring on the interpatch is being used as a control line, and I don't have the hardware to provide the required signals. Anyway, I'm generating the TB signal on aux 1 now, and that can be split prefaded by pressing the right buttons. I also withdrew the comprod computer from service, as it was virus and spyware riddled, and it's pretty much beyond hope. I'll get any useful audio off it soon, and I'll turn it into the new studio computer, and acquire a new machine for audio editing.

Spent Saturday afternoon in Loughborough having a bit of a geek fest. Shame about the concurrent football match that meant finding a quiet seat in a pub was impossible, and the weather didn't help matters.

Shelagh and I slept in on Sunday morning. No point getting up if there's nothing to get up for. All in all, a relaxing day. Anyway, I managed to start off the process of transfering the Boundary Sound domains over to my control, so we can get our servers doing all the work, and make our nice new mail system active. Then I can linux the reception computer too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home